Re: ongoing slepc/petsc transition

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 11:15 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 23:51:12 -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
>
> > That said, the HDF5 transition seems a bit premature.  There are some
> > fundamental changes which have broken a couple of its reverse-depends,
> > which is one reason so many packages needed to be removed from testing
> > in order to transition it.
> >
> I'm sorry but I wasn't going to hold testing hostage of hdf5 for much
> longer than a month...

This is a new regression that happened since January 21 and broke at
least med-fichier, with several rdeps of its own.  But I understand, it
had to go in at some point.

> > In particular, it's impossible to install hdf5-tools and
> > libhdf5-*mpi-dev at the same time, as is required to build a handful of
> > reverse-depends [3].  There's no reason the MPI and non-MPI shared libs
> > should conflict.
> >
> Well there's no way they can be installed together as long as they ship
> the same files, this is not a new issue AFAICT...

Of course.  I'll post a patch hopefully sometime today which resolves
the conflict.

> >  [3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=586149
> >
> And this bug is almost 2 years old, I don't see that it has anything to
> do with the recent changes?

Because it's the same issue: inability to install multiple versions of
the HDF5 libraries simultaneously.

Then again, the new issue, the regression, is that hdf5-tools and
libhdf5-mpi-dev can't be installed simultaneously, so perhaps this is a
different issue.  But resolving the shared library conflict fixes this
new problem.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/