Re: Geant4 package

Tirsdag 28 juni 2011 10.05.29 skrev roucaries bastien :

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Yngve Inntjore Levinsen

> <yngve.inntjore.levinsen@cern.ch> wrote:

> > Dear Debianizers,

> > I uploaded the Geant4 package to git now, and are wondering if there are

> > anyone willing to help me fix it/improve it. Currently I have managed to

> > build a previous version 4.9.3.p02. The recent version, 4.9.4.p01 however,

> > have not been built successfully. A couple of comments:

> > - The packaging depended on CERNLIB before, but since Geant4 itself should

> > not depend on CERNLIB anymore (?), I tried to remove the dependency

> > (potentially not very successfully)

> Could you give me the list of symbols used from cernlib ? We could

> therefore depend only on a subclass of cernlib

There should be none. However, there were some packaging scripts (or something like that), which depended on cernlib. I believe the goal should be to completely drop any dependencies on cernlib.

> > - The package depends on CLHEP, which has a redistribution license problem.

> > We have been allowed to redistribute it on our unofficial CERN Debian

> > server, where you can find the package: http://cern.ch/lcg-heppkg/debian/

> according http://proj-clhep.web.cern.ch/proj-clhep/ and

> https://savannah.cern.ch/projects/clhep/

> it is now GPL 2 (just see later)

Aha, did not notice that before. However, it still states

"interdependencies within CLHEP are allowed under certain conditions". I do believe CLHEP is slightly problematic, others are welcome to investigate. I know Lifeng Sun did a while back, but I thought he gave up (?)

> > - I tried to build the new version against the most recent version of CLHEP,

> > 2.1.0.1. To get that version, contact me or do "apt-get source clhep2",

> > update the source ( http://proj-clhep.web.cern.ch/proj-clhep/#download ) and

> > build the package yourself.

> > - The Geant4 package was very well constructed from the original packager,

> > Kevin B. McCarty. I might have broken some stuff, and misunderstood some

> > parts. E.g. the soversion in debian/rules have been a bit of a mystery to

> > me. Please fix/improve anything you see that I have done wrong.

> > - I am in the final 6 months of my PhD at the moment, so I have very little

> > time working on this (sadly). I know though that there are quite a few

> > people using this package, so if we could be able to release the new version

> > it would be appreciated. As soon as the package builds fine I will

> > immediately build and release the 64bit versions on our server, and see if I

> > can get someone to build the 32bit versions as well.

> Ok fine. I understand what you will not joinable a lot. Do you plan to

> change of mail adress after your phd ?

No, I will continue with a fellow at CERN.

SVN, but there is no public access. See http://hypernews.slac.stanford.edu/HyperNews/geant4/get/installconfig/1382.html