Re: RFS: cernlib + mclibs + geant321 + paw

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:00:55 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote
> In case you did not noticed the Debian Science tasks scheme at
>   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks
> I would like you to have a look. It might make sense to create a new
> task physics-hep if you consider packaging several programs.

I'd create a new task soon.

> If I think this idea even further: Is it time to start a Debian
> Physics Blend now.  IMHO we have reached a critical mass of packages
> which could be split into several reasonable categories.

I second it, since Yann Pouillon is also preparing several packages of
nanoscale physics [1].

> I - as a physicist of profession (but working not any more in this
> field) - would definitely promote such a step (even if I say clearly
> that Debian Med will remain my main focus).

My speciality is theoretical high energy physics :-)

For the license of Geant4, IMHO, the developers of Geant4 must know
Free Software well and have solid reasons to draw a new license
incompatible with the definition of FSF. Unless I had large
contribution to Geant4, I'd not discuss the license issue with the
authors. Personally, I'm not good at diplomatic things.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2010/10/msg00018.html

Kind regards,
- Lifeng