Re: Coinstallability of Fortran libraries built with different compilers

Hi Alastair,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:28:00AM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> Cross-posting this to debian-devel for greater visibility on multiarch,

> On 2011-10-20 17:30, Enrico Zini wrote:
> >another issue caused by a lack of standards for Fortran .mod files is
> >that one cannot use, say, gfortran, to link to a library built with
> >another compiler like ifort.

> >We are starting to need to install development systems that would allow
> >both a gfortran toolchain and an ifort toolchain. That would mean having
> >to compile all libraries twice, and installing them twice in the system.

> >I have been experimenting with hacks like installing gfortran files in
> >/usr/include and /usr/lib and ifort files in /usr/include/ifort and
> >/usr/lib/ifort, and with a bit of insisting, things can be made to work.

> >That has also the nice property that standard Debian packages, that are
> >built with gfortran, fit normally in the system.

> >Is that a solution as good as anything, or are you doing something
> >better?

> One point to think of is how this works with multiarch, which is
> being introduced
> in Debian. Instead of 'ifort' should we use the architecture triplet, eg.
> i386-linux-intel instead ?
> Then the libraries go in i386-linux-intel rather than i386-linux-gnu
> for gfortran;
> ditto for the .mod files in /usr/include/i386-linux-intel

I'm not familiar with this i386-linux-intel triplet.  Is this a triplet
targeted by the toolchain?  Does software built for this target not use GNU
libc?  (I guess I can't presume that it uses any libc at all, since we're
speaking specifically of fortran here.)

Cheers,