Re: pdb files license

2011/9/26 Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <frederic-emmanuel.picca@synchrotron-soleil.fr>
Hello, I'm currently packaging a package which contain pdb files.

so I asked the upstream the licences of a few included pdb files, he
sent to me a link took from a mailling list of the database the
files are originating from [1][2]. The follow up is interesting.

the full agreement for instituts contributing to the database is here [2].

So the question is:

is it possible for Debian to distribut that kind of files ?

It seems to me that it should be possible to distribute the files, but
that it is not allow to introduce the new modifyed files into the
original database.

[1] https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/pdb-l/2007-August/004049.html
[2] https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/pdb-l/2007-August/004051.html
[3] http://www.wwpdb.org/wwpdb_charter.html

--
GPG public key 4096R/4696E015 2011-02-14
   fingerprint = E92E 7E6E 9E9D A6B1 AA31  39DC 5632 906F 4696 E015

GPG public key 1024D/A59B1171 2009-08-11
   fingerprint = 1688 A3D6 F0BD E4DF 2E6B  06AA B6A9 BA6A A59B 1171
uid  Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <picca@debian.org>

Here I might be wrong. But I know someone who handled PDBs before. So I learned little.

PDB is the abbreviation of the Protein Data Bank.

PDB files just a file, you can touch a.pdb or b.pdb.

But for the PDB ID which was the identity from the Protein Data Bank (might not correct),
different ID regards different protein structure and the structure information was gained from different lab or group. The bank gathered those information together.
so for certain pdb file such as 1RCT.pdb, when people used it, people won't cite the Protein Data Bank, they will cite the group who found or predict it.

--
Best Regards,

lina