Re: OpenMPI-bin missing on some arches (Was: mrbayes-mpi: uninstallable on mipsen and s390)

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 23:19 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 15:01 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Your package is uninstallable on some archs:
> > >
> > >    mrbayes-mpi/mips unsatisfiable Depends: openmpi-bin
> > >    mrbayes-mpi/mipsel unsatisfiable Depends: openmpi-bin
> > >    mrbayes-mpi/s390 unsatisfiable Depends: openmpi-bin
> >
> > I admit I'm not so comfortable with these architectures.  Is there any
> > drop-in replacement for openmpi on these and if yes, what do I need to
> > specify in debian/{control,rules}?  Could any other package with the
> > same problem serve as an example?
>
> Try mpich2, or better still use mpi-defaults (mpi-defaults-dev).
> mpi-defaults is a dummy package that pulls in what we deem to be the
> most reliable mpi implementation for the architecture, which on those
> arches is mpich2 not openmpi.  lam4 is an alternate option, it was
> previously the mpi-default but is currently being deprecated in favour
> of mpich2.

And you want mpi-default-bin where you would otherwise use openmpi-bin.
Tons of packages use mpi-default-* dependencies, just use debtree or
similar to find them.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/