Re: issues with pdflatex and font creation in scientific software ?

Hi Christophe,

It was smart to quote the error message.

I read it, and it seems to me that the first sign
of trouble looks like a common permissions bug.

> mkdir: cannot create directory `././.texmf-var': Permission denied

A quick and dirty way to check is by running the
same code as root, which typically has permission.

If I were debugging it, I'd look in what ever you
run to build the documentation for the specific
line of code that calls "mkdir" and reports the
error.

Maybe you could isolate it with "echo" or "print"
statements, depending on what builds the
documentation.

Once I found the exact line of code, I'd add more
statements to reveal which path is passed to mkdir.

Then I'd check the path's ownership and
permissions with the "ls -l" command.

You might be able to work around the problem by
using the "chmod" or "chown" command on the
appropriate directory.

I hope that helps,
Kingsley