Re: RFS: cernlib + mclibs + geant321 + paw

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:21:00PM +0800, Lifeng Sun wrote:
> I'd create a new task soon.

Do not hesitate to ask me if you need some help here.

> > If I think this idea even further: Is it time to start a Debian
> > Physics Blend now.  IMHO we have reached a critical mass of packages
> > which could be split into several reasonable categories.
>
> I second it, since Yann Pouillon is also preparing several packages of
> nanoscale physics [1].

I learned Yann to know at LSM in Nantes and he has visited my Debian
Science talk.  May be he steps in with some more physicists here on this
list we might find some people who might issue some text in the Debian
Wiki about DebianPhysics, some Web page on w.d.o should be created and a
debian-physics@l.d.o mailing list should be created as well as a
packaging team on alioth.  That's a bit of work which needs volunteers.
If there are those volunteers I'd care for preparing physics related
tasks files a physics section on blends.alioth.debian.org and creating
metapackages.

IMHO it is time for such a move - perhaps we might be able to sort out
those things at DebConf.

> > I - as a physicist of profession (but working not any more in this
> > field) - would definitely promote such a step (even if I say clearly
> > that Debian Med will remain my main focus).
>
> My speciality is theoretical high energy physics :-)

Those guys who use pen and paper to find very small particles? :-)

> For the license of Geant4, IMHO, the developers of Geant4 must know
> Free Software well and have solid reasons to draw a new license
> incompatible with the definition of FSF. Unless I had large
> contribution to Geant4, I'd not discuss the license issue with the
> authors. Personally, I'm not good at diplomatic things.

Well, this depends.  It might be that nobody has asked before.
Sometimes people have changed their mind (for whatever reason) and just
forgot about some phrases in the license.  I had some success in the
past with simply asking and it was perfectly simple.  For things like
this the existence of a Debian Physics Blend is a nice thing because
it is different if you write as single person or "on behalf of Debian
Physics".