Re: gmsh FTBFS on some platforms

Hi Anton,

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 23:09 +0200, Anton Gladky wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> gmsh of 2.5.0.dfsg-6 version has the following line in control file[1]:
>
> libhdf5-mpi-dev[alpha amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386
> powerpc sparc],
>
> As I understand, libhdf5-mpi-dev should be included only on platforms,
> listed above.
> But builldd includes this package for all platforms, causing FTBFS on
> some of them. For example, mips is not listed above, but buildd
> includes libhdf5-mpi-dev for building [2]:
>
> Get:112 http://mirror-ubc.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main
> libhdf5-mpi-dev mips 1.8.4-patch1-2 [18.3 kB]

That's odd.  I have nearly the same thing in my petsc build-depends, and
it does not get libhdf5-mpi-dev on those arches.  The one difference is
that my petsc line has a space between libhdf5-mpi-dev and the open
bracket:

libhdf5-mpi-dev [i386 amd64 lpia ia64 powerpc kfreebsd-i386 kfreebsd-amd64],

> I have changed libhdf5-mpi-dev on libhdf5-openmpi-dev in build-deps [3]:
>
> libhdf5-openmpi-dev[alpha amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386
> powerpc sparc]
>
> But I am afraid, that it will cause again FTBFS, because
> libhdf5-openmpi-dev is not available on all platforms.

Yeah, don't do that.  We want it to work with mpich2 when that replaces
lam on the non-OpenMPI arches.  And sparc is not an OpenMPI arch -- at
least not according to mpi-default-dev.

<soapbox>
Speaking of which, this is holding up the OpenCASCADE 6.5.0 transition,
and HDF5 is broken an LAM affecting at least gmsh and petsc (and almost
certainly salome when we get our act together on that package), so IMO
it would be really helpful to [finally] get some movement on the LAM to
MPICH2 change in mpi-defaults.  Can we please try to do this sooner
rather than later?

I notice nobody responded to my last email about this [6], and if we
just sit and wait for Godot to fix OpenMPI on the other arches, then
wheezy will release with this awful mess still in Debian, as just
happened with squeeze.

LAM Delenda Est!!
</soapbox>

> Can anybody
> say, what do I do wrong? Why buildd ignores platforms, like described
> in Debian Policy [4]?
>
> The question comes from the bug [5] discussion.
> I appreciate any help.

> [1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-science/packages/gmsh/tags/2.5.0.dfsg-6/control
> [2] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=gmsh&arch=mips&ver=2.5.0.dfsg-6&stamp=1302030827
> [3] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-science/packages/gmsh/trunk/debian/control
> [4] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html
> [5] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=613056#140

If I were you I'd try it with -mpi-dev and the space, since that works
for petsc, and see how the buildds respond.

[6] http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2011/04/msg00023.html

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/