Re: Fwd: Mathgl 1.11 issues for Debian

Hi All,

AFAIK, debian-changes is created by quilt, by setting the format to quilt 3.0. I did find this gets in the way of packaging.

You can avoid generation of this if you switch back from quilt 3.0 to quilt 1.0 -- it is unclear how quilt 3.0 is helping us here, that I have been unable to locate documentation  on the workflows is supposed to support. I initially turned  off 3.0 when modifying the orphaned package for this reason.

There is some documentation here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0

That page suggests the motiviation is to separate patches from the working directory, I could not see any explanation why this is an improvement over quilt 1.0, which already does this. However, that page also tells you how to turn it off. ( remove debian/source/format (or put "1.0" in it) ).

Personally, from an ease of maintenance perspective (and keeping the repo trim), I support disabling this -- but Dimitrios is currently making most of the changes in mathgl -- so I will defer here. The current debian "fashion" appears to be turning this on,  so it may be I am not understanding the purpose or mechanism well enough.

Thanks,

D. Haley