Re: [R-sig-hpc] License of GotoBLAS was changed to BSD

On 26 November 2010 at 23:10, Thomas Weber wrote:
| On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:53:09AM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > Wouldn't we want GotoBLAS2 in Debian now that it is BSD-licensed?
|
| Uh, are you guys aware of
| http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/tacc-projects/gotoblas2/faq/ ?
|
| "GotoBLAS is no longer under active development."

We do.

The whole BSD release is presumably of consequence of Mr Goto no longer being
at U of Texas and working on it.

But by getting it into Debian we also give it more exposure and who knows
maybe some other folks will pick it up. In the meantime its performance is
still better than Atlas in most cases (as e.g. shown in my benchmarking paper
/ blog posts -- see http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/code/gcbd/

Dirk

--
Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com