Re: Reproducibility

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 09:30:16AM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> > Yes, that's the problem.
>
> For stable releases though, we have the time, and we can (I suspect) get
> the compute cycles to run heavy regression tests. Would that be a
> worthwhile project?

Well, it is not me who raised this problem and so I do not feel realy
able to give a definite answer.  But as I understood the people at
Sanger scientist do not really care about stable Debian.  They care
about a really specific version of a specific software.  Perhaps the
version in stable is to old - or it might even be to new (if they want
to reproduce old results).  I really dobt that these people who are
used to stick to such a version will care about Debians regression
tests if they have the chance to simply install their own version.

So for the application at Sanger I mentioned it is probably wasted
energy / manpower.  For other cases it might make sense, yes.