Re: Salomé rules file and make wildcards

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> writes:

> I've been beating my head on $(wildcard...) in a rules file for nearly a
> week now, and can't make any sense of it.  The rules file is attached,

In general, using $(wildcard ...) differs in two ways from using shell
wildcards directly (which I would recommend simply doing here):

- make expands it before running *any* commands; that allows its use
  in some contexts (particularly target lists), but backfires here
  because there won't necessarily be a *-packages directory when make
  starts.

- When there are no matches, it expands to nothing, which is not
  default shell behavior (but available with bash's shopt nullglob).

Your observations are consistent with that; in particular, your echo
statement lists site-packages only because you fed the shell an
unquoted wildcard.

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu