Re: Merge of pkg-scicomp into the Debian Science Team

On Thursday 11 February 2010 7:00 am Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 10:56 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:14:05AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >
> > > I think it is rather the workflow you have to change which is sometimes
> > > much harder.  You have to remember to change the Vcs fields in the
> > > control files of your packages, upload to a different Vcs,
> >
> > When you say "different Vcs", you do mean simply a different
> > subversion or git URL, right?
> >
> > I just want to make sure there is no plan to move all pkg-scicomp SVN
> > packages to git or vice-versa.
>
> Conversely, are there tools to migrate SVN history to a git repository?
> I've come to like git, and would like to migrate "my" packages.

For simple svn histories, git-svn works quite well.
For example, for the Sikuli project (which has a short, linear history):
  apt-get install git-svn
  git-svn clone http://sikuli.org/svn

For larger projects, e.g., Inkscape, "git-svn clone" can take a long time, and
will sometimes break on more complicated svn histories.  In this case, you
can clone only the recent history (and, possibly, work backwards to debug the
problem) by specifying a particular svn revision, e.g.:
git-svn init \
https://inkscape.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/inkscape/inkscape/trunk

git-svn fetch -r21933

There is a good write-up of git-svn here:
http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html

--Mark