Re: Salomé packaging

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 23:28 +0100, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 02:29:03PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > For those interested, I'm re-doing the Salomé .deb I started three years
> > Because I can't do the whole package, I'm putting up the progress I've
> > To summarize, I need help with the following:
> >       * ...
> >       * Getting the other modules to configure, compile and install
> >       * Making patches upstream-compatible, and sending them to upstream
>
> As part of the OpenHPC project[1], Logilab commited itself to package
> Salomé for Debian. We had seen the great work you have done and are
> glad that you are resuming it.

Wow, thank you for this terrific news!  Have you started to forward-port
the old patches to a new package, or are you using a different approach?

A correction: most of my work on this was two years ago, not three.

> André Espaze has been developing a connector between Salomé and
> Code_Aster for the past few months. He is about to continue his work
> with the packaging of Salomé. He will have the help of Pierre-Yves
> David. We also have a Debian developer on the team, Alexandre Fayolle,
> but he will not have a lot of time for this particular project in the
> upcoming months.

Okay.  Let me know how I can best fit in with your plans for this
project.

> I am cc'ing every person involved to make sure everyone can get in
> touch easily. Is debian-science the best place to discuss this topic
> or should we take the discussion off-list?

I think this list is pretty good as long as we are talking about
generalities, as I think some of the people on the list will have good
suggestions.  When we start to get into the details of patches and the
package, maybe it will make sense to go off-list.

> Hopefully, the fact that we have been working with upstream for years
> will help us get this work done more easily.

This is terrific.  My patches are Debian-specific, and need some work to
make them fit the needs of both upstream and Debian.  This gives me hope
that doing that work will help to actually get the patches into the
upstream source!

This is the best news I've heard in a long time.  Thanks again, I look
forward to working with you.

Regards,
Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/