Re: Need help/advice with NIST dataplot

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 02:54:54AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> It worked. It took a while to get libgd2-xpm-dev installed on my system
> because I had previously installed gnuplot. Gnuplot install had automatically
> installed libgd2-noxpm and the two are incompatible. Of course, gnuplot
> counld have installed libgd2-xpm, but that is not how the package install
> script is written.
> I don't know much at all about writing a successful Debian package, but I
> imagine this behavior of the gnuplot package will provide an interesting
> extra challenge.

gnuplot depends on "libgd2-noxpm (>= 2.0.36~rc1~dfsg) | libgd2-xpm (>=
2.0.36~rc1~dfsg)", so it should not be a problem. Installing
libgd2-xpm-dev with aptitude, it just asks me if it should remove libgd2-noxpm
(without saying anything about gnuplot because of its dependencies).

Anyway, if dataplot doesn't need to write xpm files, you could simply have
installed libgd2-noxpm-dev.

ciao
Riccardo