Re: Need help/advice with NIST dataplot

 On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Aaron M. Ucko <amu@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> writes:
>
>> First, maybe I don't need to compile from source --- Is there a
>> package for this in Debian? What is the package name?
>
> I see no sign of any existing package either, but it was a good thought
> to check first.

Is there a desire/userbase for this package to be included in debian?
I have not used it, but can help work on it if this is something
interesting to users. (I've never made a fortran library package
before, could be interesting...)

This is their license statement: "Open source software, as exemplified
by the GNU foundation, is becoming incresingly popular. Although
Dataplot does not explicitly utilize the GNU license, Dataplot has
always made the source code available (Dataplot is trade marked but
not copyrighted). Note that we place no restrictions on how you use
the source code. You are free to modify it for your own purposes and
are free to re-distribute it with your own applications. We
appreciate, but do not require, acknowledgement."

And from [1]:
"Beyond the packages many of us have heard of, this week James
J. Filliben of the Statistical Engineering Division of the U.S. National
Institute of Standards (NIST) presented software continually developed since
they first introduced it in 1978 (yes, that's 20 years) [edit: make
that 30].  That software is
"DATAPLOT".

Three people work on dataplot full time at NIST.  They have 1 million lines of
code in the program, 17 MB of binaries, and 2000 pages of documentation.  They
have 70 statistical distributions, probably more than the statistical bastions
SAS, SPSS and BMDP.  They contain most every experimental design in Box and
Jenkins.  Their software does Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA), time series
analysis, process control, reliability.  Their front end is Tcl/Tk and they
have extensive graphics.  This program is very popular at NIST."

Anyone have an opinion or experience with this?

Cheers,
Scott

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1997/12/msg01129.html