Re: [R-sig-hpc] License of GotoBLAS was changed to BSD

Salut Sylvestre!

Thanks for the superspeedy follow-up!

On 26 November 2010 at 18:00, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
| Le vendredi 26 novembre 2010 à 10:53 -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
| > Hi science folks,
| >
| > Ei-ji, who follows this closely and who also wrote a the very nice
| > gotoblas2-helper package which turns the (until now non-free) gotoblas2 into
| > a rocking .deb package, just posted this to the R list for HPC:
| >
| > On 27 November 2010 at 01:32, Ei-ji Nakama wrote:
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Please look at the following.
| > | http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/tacc-projects/gotoblas2/
| > |
| > | comparatively new CPU should force it with `make TARGET=NEHALEM'
| >
| > Wouldn't we want GotoBLAS2 in Debian now that it is BSD-licensed?  I checked
| > the link and there is in fact a new download link -- no more registration at
| > TACC and all that.
| >
| > Sylvestre, any interest and equally importantly, spare cycles on your part?
| That is excellent news !! Especially since, thanks to your document, I
| am aware of the great performances of GotoBLAS2.
| Especially since we have now in Debian a quick and easy way to switch
| between BLAS implementations.
|
| I am ready to upload this in Debian if it is OK with you.

That would be wonderful. I'd be happy test source packages etc pp

| Sylvestre
| PS: Can you confirm that all the performances optimisation are done at
| runtime (like the MKL) and not build time (like ATLAS) ?

Not sure I fully understand the question. A lot of _tuning_ happens at
_build time_ just like Atlas.  That is where the tuning comes from.

What Goto BLAS shares with MKL (and does better than Atlas) is the ability to
_select the number of cores at run-time_.  Is that what you meant?

All 'hard' questions I suggest you direct in a friendly email to Ei-ji who
knows so much more about all this than I do...

Cheers, Dirk

--
Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com