Re: mathgl 1.11 upload

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 02:29 +0200, Dimitrios Eftaxiopoulos wrote:
> Hello again,
> I think that mathgl 1.11 is ready for upload, probably to experimental. Thanks
> Ruben for the hint (I had read it before but I was somehow lost in it).

Hi,
first I am not DD or DM, I am just learning packaging, so some of the
following may be incorrect.
Sorry if some of this may have already been mentioned/resolved, I am
only following this list since a short while.

some issues with the copyright:
Mikhail Barg (include/mgl/mgl_pas.pas)
and Алексей Балакин (texinfo/mgl_ru.texi) do not appear in the
debian/copyright file
(note this was just a brief check, may miss further persons)

licensecheck reports: GPL (v2 or later) (with incorrect FSF address)
this must probably be resolved with upstream.

I also have some more cosmetic comments on the package:

- you have changed it to source format 3.0 (quilt). this means you can
drop the dependency on quilt in the control file and you can remove the
patch targets and quilt references from the rules files.

- line 76 in rules file:
gzip -9 debian/mathgl/usr/share/man/man1/*.1
doesn't dh_installman man handle compression for you?

- the gigantic patch in debian/patches is probably hard to handle:
cat patches/debian-changes-1.11-1 | diffstat
 Makefile.in                       |    6
 aclocal.m4                        | 7971
--------------------------------------
 configure                         |   36
 examples/Makefile.in              |    6
 include/Makefile.in               |    6
 lang/Makefile.in                  |    6
 lang/numpy.i                      |    2
 mathgl-1.11/texinfo/mgl_ru.info-1 | 6077 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 mathgl-1.11/texinfo/mgl_ru.info-2 |  889 ++++
 mgl/Makefile.in                   |    6
 texinfo/Makefile.in               |    6
 texinfo/mathgl_en.texi            |    8
 texinfo/mathgl_ru.texi            |    8
 texinfo/mgl_en.texi               |    8
 texinfo/mgl_ru.texi               |    8
 texinfo/png/Makefile.in           |    6
 utils/Makefile.in                 |    6
 widgets/Makefile.in               |    6

you can probably just remove the aclocal.m4 in the rules file (is this
even necessary with dh_autoreconf?)
and maybe split the rest of the patch in smaller per-topic chunks.

thanks for the work on the package.

Best Regards,
Julian Taylor