License of PyCogent - replacement of standard mathematical procedures

Hi,

when reading the copyright of python-cogent[1] and seeing that
the only problem is in two files

Files: cogent/maths/matrix_invert.c
       cogent/maths/eigen.c (partly)
License:
    Redistribution is ok as long with proper copyright notice.
    It is free to use/modify/redistribute only for academia. Others
    need to contact the authors.

I really wonder whether there should be no free replacement for
algorithms to invert a matrix and calculating eigen values (I have not
looked at the source but the file names seem to be speaking above.  Does
anybody know a reasonable free math library which we might direct
upstream to to finally free this code which is quite interesting for
Debian Med?

[1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/p/python-cogent/python-cogent_1.4.1-1/python-cogent.copyright