how to deal with bibtex with long fields

Hello, Debian scientists.  I've been running into an extremely annoying
problem where bibtex chokes on fields that are too long, with some
incredibly stupid limit like 10000 characters.  However, I work for a
large collaboration where the author list invariably exceeds this limit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this problem?
Manually editing fields down to a passable length is not acceptable, for
a variety of reason, such as it's just stupid, and because I'm trying to
keep my bibtex synced to online databases which output the full bibtex
with full author list, and I want to be able to search the full fields.

Any suggestions?  There must be some next-gen version of bibtex out
there that doesn't have limits from the 80's, right?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

jamie.