RFH: petsc

Hello,

I'm having two problems with PETSc, and need some help.

First is the HPPA issue (below), for which I just supplied a list of
arches for binary packages which includes everything but HPPA.  But
unlike say openmpi, the HPPA buildd doesn't indicate "Not-for-us", but
tried to build it. [1]  How do I specify that petsc is not for hppa?  Or
will that change happen automatically following resolution of
ftp.debian.org RM bug 588344 (just filed)?

 [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=petsc

Second, I just uploaded a new version, and although the build process
reports that it builds the libraries just fine, they are not installed
during the install step -- though on my machine it all works fine.  This
seems odd to me, as "install" is just a matter of copying everything:

cp -a linux-gnu-c-opt/lib debian/libpetsc3.1-dev/usr/lib/petscdir/3.1/linux-gnu-c-opt/

The linux-gnu-c-opt/lib directory is PETSC_LIB_DIR, but it must be
empty, because the corresponding directory in the package is empty.

Can someone else try to build it, and let me know what's in the
linux-gnu-c-opt/lib directory at the end?

Thanks,
Adam

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 08:46 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 20:24 +0200, Christophe Prud'homme wrote:
> > what are your plans regarding the build issue of petsc3.1 on hppa ?
>
> I have no idea on how to resolve this issue.  It seems to be a low-level
> problem with python, and there was a suggestion that certain kernels
> worked and others didn't.  And it sometimes builds, sometimes does not
> -- when the problem first showed up, it built approximately once out of
> every three attempts, but the last several attempts have all failed.
>
> So it's a complex HPPA-only issue which seems like a lot more trouble to
> solve than it's worth.
>
> > at the moment this issue blocks slepc and life from reaching testing
> > Should I change the build-depends to petsc 3.0 on hppa ? or are you
> > planning an upload the next few days ?
>
> The best way forward I know of is to make this a non-hppa package, which
> all of its derivatives would be as well.  The problem exists on petsc
> 3.0 as well, whose hppa version needs to be removed from the archive.
>
> I need to take care of one other issue, and should be able to upload
> this later this week.
>
> -Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/