mpicxx: mpi.h not found

Hi,
When building the FreeFOAM software (http://freefoam.sf.net, not yet in
debian) from the upstream git repository, the compilation fails with
error message:
==============================
[ 57%] Building CXX object
src/decompositionMethods/scotchDecomp/CMakeFiles/scotchDecomp.dir/scotchDecomp.C.o
cd /home/gerber/FreeFOAM/build/src/decompositionMethods/scotchDecomp
&& /usr/bin/c++   -DscotchDecomp_EXPORTS -DDP -DNoRepository -Dlinux64
-fPIC -I/home/gerber/FreeFO
AM/build/include -I/usr/include/scotch   -o
CMakeFiles/scotchDecomp.dir/scotchDecomp.C.o
-c /home/gerber/FreeFOAM/freefoam2/src/decompositionMethods/scotchDecomp/scotc
hDecomp.C
In file included from /usr/include/mpi/mpi.h:1886,
                 from /usr/include/scotch/scotch.h:75,

from /home/gerber/FreeFOAM/freefoam2/src/decompositionMethods/scotchDecomp/scotchDecomp.C:117:
/usr/include/mpi/openmpi/ompi/mpi/cxx/mpicxx.h:33:17: error: mpi.h: No
such file or directory
===========================

This happens since after updating the source from the git repository
git://repo.or.cz/freefoam.git, so I do not know  whether the problem
lies in upstream freefoamm, mpi-default-dev or openmpi-bin.
Frome ccmake the following MPI settings are found:
MPI_COMPILER                     /usr/bin/mpic++
MPI_COMPILE_FLAGS
MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY                /usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libmpi.so;/usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libopen-rte.so;/usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libopen-pal.so;/usr/lib/libdl.so;/usr/lib/lib
MPI_INCLUDE_PATH                 /usr/lib/openmpi/include;/usr/lib/openmpi/include/openmpi
MPI_LIBRARY                      /usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libmpi_cxx.so
MPI_LINK_FLAGS			-Wl,--export-dynamic

I tried to build hello_cxx.cc (from the openmpi-doc example), using the
CMake configuration/building tools. This builds and executes fine.

Does anybody have suggestions where I have to look at?
Thanks in advance, Gerber van Graaf