Re: how to do science with amd64 lenny

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:55:38AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:57:16PM +0200, Dimitris Lampridis wrote:
> > I was about to suggest something similar:
> >
> > 1) Add the deb-src for debian testing in your sources.list
> > 2) apt-get update
> > 3) apt-get source mpich2
> > 4) apt-get build-dep mpich2
> > 5) cd mpich2-1.2.1.1 (or whatever the name of the created folder)
> > 6) dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us
> > 7) cd ..
> > 8) dpkg -i *.deb
>
> If you are doing that then you can do:
> 1) Add the deb-src for debian testing in your sources.list
> 2) apt-get update
> 3) apt-get build-dep mpich2
> 4) apt-get source mpich2 -b
> 5) dpkg -i *.deb

This describes a "normal" backporting process.  While this might lead
finally to a working system it is a system which never was tested by
anybody else than you.  So if I would have the choice between the manual
backporting work (in contrast to existing packages at backports.org) and
the suggested different chroot environments also suggested in this
thread I would definitely prefer the different chroots approach because
it ist way faster implemented and tested by other Debian users (of
testing and unstable).