Re: how to do science with amd64 lenny

[Trimming distribution list.  I don't think this is amd64 specific.]

First of all, backports (http://backports.org) has packages from
unstable that have already been built in the stable environment.  I've
never used it, but you might start there and save yourself the trouble
of building by hand.

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 14:57 +0200, Dimitris Lampridis wrote:

> I was about to suggest something similar:
>
> 1) Add the deb-src for debian testing in your sources.list
> 2) apt-get update
> 3) apt-get source mpich2
> 4) apt-get build-dep mpich2
> 5) cd mpich2-1.2.1.1 (or whatever the name of the created folder)
> 6) dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us
> 7) cd ..
> 8) dpkg -i *.deb
I think there is a catch at step 4 (different from the one already
mentioned).  apt-get build-dep foo operates on the install binary
package foo.  I think if mpich2 is not installed it won't work, and if
it is installed you will get the dependencies of that version (i.e.,
stable) rather than the one you want to build (unstable).

The buildpackage dependency checker does work with the source package
you are building, and so will complain if something is missing.

Ross Boylan