Re: MPI implementations in squeeze

Thanks Manuel for the update...

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 16:32 +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is a short status update on this topic.
>
> Am Montag, den 09.11.2009, 16:47 -0800 schrieb Nicholas Breen:
> >  * should we start filing wishlist bugs asking packagers not to build against
> >    MPICH (1) and LAM?
>
> I (finally) got around to file bugs against all packages build-depending
> on LAM and/or MPICH. To my surprise, some maintainers already did the
> transition, which I'm very happy about, and taking at as a sign that
> this is a welcomed decision. There were only 10 bugs left, not included
> the reverse deps of hdf5. You can get an overview via [1].

FYI I've made a patch for hdf5 to add a -mpi version which depends on
the appropriate version for the platform. [1]  But the maintainer didn't
want to give up on the separate -lam, -mpich and -openmpi versions (no
-mpich2 yet) -- which conflict with each other.  And hasn't done
anything with the patch in eight weeks...  MPI-enabled MED and Salomé
are waiting for this.

 [1] http://bugs.debian.org/510057

> There is not much progress so far with respect to changing mpi-defaults
> to use MPICH2 instead of LAM on the architectures where Open MPI is not
> available yet. This needs a round of binNMUs. Marc Brockschmidt said he
> will look at the request to debian-release in the next few days, so this
> might resolve soon as well.

Something to consider: this will break a lot of packages which use
FORTRAN until 563705 is fixed, and then that will require mods to
packages.

> I'd be very happy if we could get this transition done before the
> release, let's see if that works out!

The above will complicate this goal...

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/