Re: RFS: r-cran-scatterplot3d

On 24 January 2010 at 18:24, Philip Rinn wrote:
| Dear debian-science subscribers,
|
| I am looking for a sponsor for my package "scatterplot3d".
|
| * Package name    : scatterplot3d
|   Version         : 0.3-30-1
|   Upstream Author : Uwe Ligges
| * URL             : http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/scatterplot3d/
| * License         : GPL-2
|   Section         : gnu-r
|
| Scatterplot3d is an GNU R package for the visualization of multivariate data in
| a three dimensional space. Basically scatterplot3d generates a scatter plot in
| the 3D space using a parallel projection. Higher dimensions (fourth, fifth, etc.)
| of the data can be visualized to some extent using, e.g. different colors,
| symbol types or symbol sizes.
|

| It builds the binary packages "r-cran-scatterplot3d". I renamed it to fit the
| pattern of CRAN packages for R in Debian.
|
| The package appears to be lintian clean and it would fix bug #565682.
| It can be found on mentors.debian.net:
| http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/scatterplot3d

Building CRAN packages is trivial, it usually takes me about five minutes max
per package.

Yet I am not convinced that is what we want to sponsor more as some folks who
have sponsored / packaged / uploaded are not keeping up with the new versions
at CRAN (I think that holds for matchit, pscl, sp, vgam, zelig per [1] and
other pages). I try to keep up with mine, and it really is not a large
effort.  Yet someone has to make it for the sponsored / team-managed packages
too.

| I'd be glad if someone could upload this package for me, as it would supplement
| the collection of CRAN packages in Debian especially for 3D plotting.

Are you aware of http://debian.cran.r-project.org which gets you 2000+ CRAN
packages as deb files for testing on i386 and amd64 ?  That is an automated
process not suitable for injection into Debian proper, but one that could be
extended to other arches etc given suitable hardware donations.

Dirk

[1] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org