Salomé packaging

Greetings,

For those interested, I'm re-doing the Salomé .deb I started three years
ago.  Salomé is a finite element pre-post processing framework, with a
lot of other things in there as well.

Though some things have improved between version 3.2.6 and 5.1.3, many
have not, so although this likely won't take 100+ hours like the last
one did, it's taking more effort than I can give to it.  I've got five
modules configuring, compiling and installing, but will not be able to
work on it for the next couple of weeks.

<rant>Among other things, it needs major updates for modern compilers,
for OpenMPI, and for new versions of other packages.  It amazes me that
upstream can get it to build at all, but then, they seem to only build
to certain particular narrow (and old) platforms/targets, and don't
accept outside patches (never looked at the 50+ I generated last time),
so it is not surprising that this is the result.</rant>

Because I can't do the whole package, I'm putting up the progress I've
made thus far at http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/salome/ for others to work
on.  The -2 .dsc and .debian.tar.gz files are there, the rest will
follow later today.  I'm reluctant to put it in git until an audit turns
up the non-free and other troublesome files, to avoid having to change
the upstream branch and dfsg tarball too many times.  (I've only audited
the first two modules thus far, which seem dfsg-clean.)

Speaking of which, random -legal question: one directory has a .sxw,
a .pdf and a .ps.  The .pdf and ps files are clearly generated from the
sxw.  Does a .dfsg tarball have to remove the .pdf and .ps files, and
somehow re-generate them from the .sxw, or can it just leave them in?
Is there a way to script OO.o to generate a .pdf from a .sxw?

Note: the files whose debian/patches/series entries are commented are
old patches from 3.2.6 which I haven't backported.  They're there to
provide some guidance into how to fix problems related to those I fixed
back then.  The uncommented patches are new, and many of them are ready
to go to upstream.  A few others need only to be made more general
before going upstream, e.g. test for files in dependency packages both
where upstream installs them and where Debian installs them, etc.

To summarize, I need help with the following:
      * Copyright audit of the tree
      * Getting the other modules to configure, compile and install
      * Making patches upstream-compatible, and sending them to upstream

Hopefully in a month or two we'll have both a good Salomé package in
Debian, and a more enlightened upstream!

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/