Re: MPI implementations in squeeze

On 01/12/09 at 21:44 +0100, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le mardi 01 décembre 2009 à 21:20 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> > >
> > > If noone objects by the end of the week, I will file the bugs then. The
> > > number of affected packages is really low and the severity wishlist, so
> > > I guess we do not need to go through the usual MBF hassle, or do we?
> >
> > So the plan would be to use OpenMPI on all architectures where it is
> > supported, and MPICH2 on the other ones, using mpi-default?
> To me, this would be the best solution.

OK, let's do that. We can always revisit this decision after the squeeze
release, but it's important to have something sane for squeeze.

Sylvestre, can you take the lead on that, as you proposed? The required
steps, I think are:
- change mpi-default to use OpenMPI + MPICH2
- identify the packages that currently use mpi-default need binNMUs or
  full source uploads, and file bugs with severity: serious
- identify packages that don't use mpi-default yet, but use one of the
  MPI implementations directly, and file bugs:
  severity: serious if they use Mpich1 or LAM
  severity: normal if they use OpenMPI or MPICH2, asking them to switch
  to mpi-default

Thanks