Re: Orphaning my packages...

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:04:16PM +0200, francois.niedercorn2@laposte.net wrote:
> Yes, I'm (I hope) ready to take over the packages. I'm interested (if
> possible) in team maintainership under the umbrella of the Debian
> Science team. Because I still feel I will need guidance.

You might like to read Debian Science policy manual. [1]

> Now, the first step I've to do is to answer every of these bug reports
> (cernlib - #508413, cfortran - #508500,geant321 - #508496, mclibs -
> #508498, mn-fit - #508501, paw - #508495) by changing the subject with
> ITA, am I right ?

Yes.

> For the second step : "upload the packages with my name in its
> Maintainer: field,

I'd rather suggest:

  Maintainer: Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
  Uploaders: <your name>

to put it effectively under group maintenance.

> and put something like | * New maintainer (Closes:
> #bugnumber) | in the changelog of the package in order to automatically
> close this bug once the package has been installed."

Yes.

> I can't upload the
> packages, so I need to ask to debian-mentors-list (or debian-science) to
> find a sponsor for the upload, is this correct ?

Yes.  In this case I would also strongly recommend:

  DM-Upload-Allowed: yes

to enable you upload permissions once you become a Debian Maintainer.

> But I don't know the procedure for a comaintainership package, or for a
> team maintainership, if somebody can explain me the extra steps ?

See above.  Use the Debian Science SVN or Git (at your preference) to
store the packaging stuff (as described in policy[1]).

> I also need to correct outstanding bugs affecting the packages.
>
> bug #348065  affecting cernlib is not yet
> corrected (I've basically no experience on bsd, I can't give it a try
> now, but as the severity is "wishlist" perhaps I didn't have to correct
> it before uploading cernlib ?)

Even if also wishlist bugs should be fixed in the future there is no
need to fix all bugs in the first run.  Just declaring the new
maintainership and fixing the more burning bugs would be a reasonable
aproach.

> bug#374978  affecting paw seems to be
> corrected, so I've basically nothing to do (?)

Make sure that it gets close din your upload (I havn't looked at
the bug - perhaps this advise is nonsense).

> bug #507429 affecting cfortran didn't
> seem to be corrected (yes ?), but I could apply the correction that is
> suggested in the last mail.

Sounds reasonable to apply any patch and test whether it fixes the
problem (I havn't looked at the bug as well - just guessing from your
question).

> bug #249483  affecting cfortran, it is a
> wishlist also.

There is no shame in ignoring it for now and working on it later.

> Thanks a lot in advance,

Hope this helps

     Andreas.

[1] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html