Re: [R-sig-Debian] [ANNOUNCEMENT] cran2deb: 1700+ new Debian / R packages

2009/7/13 Michael Rutter <mar36@psu.edu>
> 1.  Are there any negatives going from an install.packages("foo")
> approach using R then switching to an apt-get install r-cran-foo
> method of installing packages?  If I install a deb package on top of
> an R installed package, will there be issues?

This should be the same as installing the package twice via R CMD
INSTALL; I don't expect any issues but I cannot guarantee that I have
not forgotten something.

> 2.  What will it take to do this for Ubuntu?  Are we going to need a
> (virtual) machine for each release or can this be done under chroot
> jails on one server?

I think, though have never got very far, that differences in package
naming will be the main technical problem with supporting Ubuntu in a
similar fashion, assuming re-use of the excellent Debian tools
(pbuilder, mini-dinstall, etc) with a different set of base packages.

Each release (i.e., debian i386 testing) requires a chroot
environment: it could all be done on one machine. We simply use
pbuilder. Maybe you would not want to do this for too many releases
(bandwidth, disk space, cpu time).