Re: sagemath 3.0.5 now in sid

2009/2/12 Chris Walker <chrisw@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:
> giuliano curti <giulianc@tiscali.it> writes:
>> There was not Maxima: why?
>
> Because AIUI, it is mainly for symbolic calculations. That's all I've
> attempted to use if for. Does it have strong facilities for reading,
> plotting and manipulating arrays of data?

Maxima has some limited numerical abilities for things like numerical
integration and FFT, but no, it is not an array language except in a
generous sense of the term (it has arrays, but it isn't optimised to
perform many kinds of operations on them).

I do find its bigfloat implementation useful when I need thousands of
digits of pi. ;-)

- Jordi G. H.