Re: Torque in Debian?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 04:50:21PM +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
> Oh, that. Yes it is a complicated situation, which doesn't get any
> better by the fact that the Torque maintainers don't give a d*mn
> about license issues. AFAIK several people have emailed them about
> it and they never answer. The current Torque effort is the result of
> several forked projects the history of which are pretty much lost in
> the annals... in my memory at least :-)

Wow, it seems the confusions keep going even when we have a common
SVN for the torque packaging. Having several active branches doesn't
help, though.

I had been working on fixes to packaging in the 2.3.x_ubuntu branch,
as I had been told (or so I thought) that it was the 2.3.x version that
we wanted to upload to Debian, in order to cause as little disruption
as possible to the Debian -> Ubuntu merge. Now I learn I should have
been working in trunk. Should I merge my work there?

> In Ubuntu, the torque package resides in "Multiverse" which
> corresponds to the "non-free" section of Debian. Torque has it's own
> peculiar license which tends to make the archive-admins nervous. It
> is my conviction however,  that Torque in practice is FOSS perhaps
> even FLOSS.

there are several pieces of software in Debian main that are kept in
Ubuntu multiverse. In any case, back when I started packaging torque and
then joined the common effort, I looked torque's licence and couldn't
find anything that could make it plain non-free. If my opinion counts,
we should make our initial upload target main, and let the ftp team
decide. We shouldn't go the non-free route just because we don't knw
what they'll say. If the package is rejected, it's very easy to reupload
with the changed sections.

Thanks,
Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/