Re: pkg-escience [Was: Re: Torque in Debian?]

On 11/12/2009 11:44, Steffen Moeller wrote:
Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
Le jeudi 10 décembre 2009 à 16:50 +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard a écrit :
We are now co-maintaining the package in Debian's pkg-escience team
[0]. The version that is currently in Ubuntu is in one of the
branches. Steffen and I had independently packaged Torque, but our
efforts are now essentially merged in trunk.
Not related to Torque but just for curiosity, why did you call this team
pkg-escience ?
There was a time when I was seriously interested to have Taverna packaged
for Debian. And Taverna is one of the icons of the eScience "movement". It
is on alioth such that everyone interested can contribute.

The packaging of Taverna is however difficult, I ran into bugs when
substituting the distributed .jar files with my self-compiled ones, and
nobody could suggest what version of the respective .jars to take. It would
probably help the community to get this all sorted out, I have hence not
removed those bits from the server, but it will probably wait for my
retirement to happen.

Since then, the pkg-escience project became a "let's not disturb anyone"
kind of meeting place for various technical applications.

OK, thanks for the explanation.
I understand why you picked up this name but it creates an important confusion with Debian Science... We already have a confusion between Debian Science and pkg-scicomp (we are working to solve this issue), I don't see the point of adding a third.

You could also use Debian science for your various technical applications without disturbing anyone (we are nice people). It remains one of the goal of Debian Science...

Sylvestre