Re: MPI implementations in squeeze

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 00:48 +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 01.12.2009, 21:20 +0100 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> > While I would be fine with that, there are other possible plans:
> > (2) use MPICH2 as default everywhere (it is supported on all release
> >     archs). Clearly, the package didn't receive a lot of testing yet,
> >     but this is likely to be only a temporary problem.
>
> I do not care that much. We chose Open MPI because it was the most
> mature implementation at that time. I do not know much about MPICH2, and
> am open to use MPICH2 as the default. I'd like to go with Open MPI, but
> as one of the Open MPI maintainers in Debian, my view is biased.

As a data point from the "real world", the Australian Supercomputing
Facility currently offers Open MPI but not MPICH2 [1].  Mind you the
clusters are just x86_64 so no arcane architecture.

They will install new software if users request and justify the need, so
they might potentially build MPICH2 if someone asked, though I imagine
they'd first strongly encourage the user to try Open MPI first.

[1]
http://nf.nci.org.au/facilities/software/software.php?software=MPI&site=ANU&from_site=ANU