Re: MPICH2 packaging

Hello Pavan,

The best starting point for the mpich package is:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mpich.html .  There you can get
the .diff.gz file (labeled ".diff" under Source package), which has all
of the "control" files in the debian/ directory, and subscribe to
receive emails about package changes.

For more information about Debian packages, the best starting point is
probably http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html .

-Adam

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 22:19 -0500, Pavan Balaji wrote:
> Thanks Adam. Btw, can you send me the control files for MPICH-1? I can
> try to modify them to work with MPICH2 (I don't know much about debian
> binary package creation, but am somewhat familiar with spec files, so a
> link to get me started on this would be useful as well).
>
> All: If anyone is interested in maintaining MPICH2 for Debian, please
> let me know. We'd like to work closely with you to make sure MPICH2 is
> well supported for Debian.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   -- Pavan
>
> On 06/15/2009 05:32 PM, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Hello Pavan,
> >
> > Thank you for the inquiry.  I've somewhat left MPICH for now (focusing
> > on OpenMPI, which I don't maintain but use), and assigned its
> > maintenance to the Debian Scientific Computing team.  But I think there
> > are others very interested in MPICH2, and am copying the debian-science
> > list to gauge interest.
> >
> > -Adam
> >
> > On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 16:28 -0500, Pavan Balaji wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm one of the MPICH2 developers at Argonne National Laboratory. I
> >> noticed that you were the package maintainer for MPICH-1 for Debian. As
> >> you might know, most of our current effort is towards MPICH2. We just
> >> released v1.1 a few days ago
> >> (http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2).
> >>
> >> We wanted to see if we can help get MPICH2 packaged into Debian. Since
> >> you have been maintaining MPICH-1, I thought I should just check with
> >> you first to see if you can help us with this.
> >>
> >> Please let us know.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >>   -- Pavan

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/