Re: OpenCASCADE ACCEPTED!

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 09:16 +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:16:06 -0400, Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > There are two reasons.  First, there is a non-free component, the
> > triangle software which is part of libTKMesh.so, which has a number of
> > non-free aspects to its license.  But that's small and not hard to
> > remove.
> [...]
>
> Unfortunately this mesher is required for visualization; a better option
> is to replace it by a free one, but this is much harder.

I see, that's too bad.  You're right, libTKV3d and libTKDraw both depend
on libTKMesh, which has triangle.

In that case, we can have a separate non-free libtriangle, and put
OpenCASCADE in contrib.  Perhaps libTKMesh and libTKSTL (which also
depends on it) should go into Jason's proposed "Vis" package, instead of
"Core". Then WOK, Core and OCAF_Lite could be in main, and Vis, OCAF and
Test in contrib...  After lenny. :-)

Okay, first things first.  Please test the new 6.2-4 packages I put up
this morning in http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/opencascade/ (amd64 only,
i386 is building).  Thanks to Denis, DRAWEXE now works, and _OCC64 is
set properly, eliminating a crash in FreeCAD (see the SourceForge
FreeCAD Open Discussion forum for details).

I am planning three more changes for -5, which I'll upload soon (by next
Wednesday):
      * Configure with debugging messages off
      * Add DRAWEXE to the menu (running in a terminal)
      * Modify documentation to fit the Debian package

At that point, if people could please build for lots of architectures,
that would be great.  (Non-free packages don't autobuild, and in any
case, I wouldn't want to impose this gigantic package on the
autobuilders.)

I'm pretty excited, we'll have a high-quality OpenCASCADE, and maybe
FreeCAD, in Debian lenny and maybe Ubuntu intrepid!

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/