Re: OpenCASCADE ACCEPTED!

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 20:46 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 09/06/2008, Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> wrote:
> >  The second reason is that although the OCTPL seems to be a free license,
> >  upstream's interpretation of it is not.  The paragraph starting with "In
> >  short" on http://www.opencascade.org/occ/license/ introduces the
> >  non-free requirement that one send all modifications to them, which is
> >  nowhere in the license itself.
>
> Now, this part is downright bizarre. Further proof that tampering with
> good things like the GPL comes from people who are confused with its
> intent and purpose.

It is odd, isn't it?  IMO, the requirement of a distinct patch makes
this license more like the QPL than the LGPL which they claim.

As an aside, now that FreeCAD is fully LGPL (as of a couple of weeks
ago, not sure that the change has entered a release yet), it can legally
link to both OCC and QPL-licensed Qt, as can Salomé.

> I hope that this doesn't mean that once you remove the triangle
> software (Delaunay triangulation, is it, or something harder to
> reimplement?), that upstream's confusion about their own license won't
> stop it from trickling down to main.

We'll see in a few months...

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/