Re: Software for poster presentations

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Stuart Prescott <debian-expires2007@nanonanonano.net> wrote:

Hi All,

As a brief respite from packaging discussions, here's a user question:

What software would you use or recommend for preparing a poster for
presentation at a conference? [0]

A few things come to mind straight off -- perhaps existing users can make
comments on these things:

* openoffice impress or draw: I guess these would be the same as doing a
poster in powerpoint, with the same limitations. Does it work OK?

I've had labmates go the PowerPoint way. I think the biggest issue has been pixelated graphics. If you can get good resolution graphics then it's not too bad.

* inkscape: can it handle flowing and editing text nicely? I've only ever used
it for drawing. I see it's debtagged as "works-with-format::tex" which I find
intriguing but don't know what that means in practice. I know it has
bugs/limitations in being able to compress jpeg images which could result in
an obscenely large PDF export when it comes to producing the final product.

I use inkscape to great figures for posters and papers, but I've not tried to do the whole poster that way. I think it would be a bit limited in terms of layout.

* scribus: I've never used it but by its description it sounds like a good
tool for the job; I've heard it's a bit quirky but that it's a good program
for this sort of thing.

This is what I used for my last poster. It gives some pretty good results. Layout is pretty easy and it will definitely get the job done. It is quirky though and it took me a bit to figure out how to do things.

* latex (directly): as for lyx, it would of course be possible, but is it
sensible to do so? [1]

I've also done posters in the past using plain-old latex. It took me *forever* to do it though. The results were great of course (equations look great) but for me personally not worth the time.

-Jordan