Re: New -dev tasks

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

Am Freitag, den 12.12.2008, 11:27 +0100 schrieb Sylvestre Ledru:
For a lambda user, applications and libraries are two very different
things.

ACK.

ACK as well.
For Debian Med we added -dev metapackages for bio and imaging, i.e. where
it is really needed.  It just makes no sense to add a library to a
user oriented metapackage.  My strategy is to add binary packages which
are providing tools which *use* the library in some example application
(many source packages containing a library provide such a binara package)
to the user oriented metapackage and put the lib...-dev package into the
developer oriented metapackage.

This should be possible. AFAIK you can just create them and add packages
to them.

Yes.

But there is one aspect one might consider: Sometimes,
libraries come along with a certain set of utils, so there is not just
the library per se.

As I wrote above - put these in the dependencies of the user oriented
package.

One example you're familiar with is Open MPI. So I
wonder if it is reasonable to add -dev packages to the already existing
task pages and modify the scripts that generate the meta-packages in a
way that they sort out all -dev packages into a $TASK-dev package?

What do you mean by "sort out"?
The tasks files contain lists of *binary* packages.  You have to list all
binary packages that should be included.  There might be a chance to move
packages named like lib*-dev to a separate *-dev package - but that's a
weak strategy.  There is quite often some more logic required.  There are
even packages which are no -dev library but clearly developer oriented -
we would loose these.  So I do not see an automatic way.

We *might* consider a separate field inside the tasks files for instance

  Dev-{Depends,Recommends,Suggests}: lib*-dev

but frankly I see no profit doing this.  It would break several things
in the current framework for no obvious advantage.  Or do I miss something?