Re: building package with different libs

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 03:57:22PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > One solution is to standardize around the "latest and greatest".  With a
> > lot of old MPI implementations merging and steering their development
> > effort into OpenMPI, that seems to be a leader in this regard.  But it's
> > not on all of Debian's platforms, see Bug 376833.  So I have petsc,
> > babel, hypre and a couple of my others using OpenMPI on its platforms
> > and LAM where there's no OpenMPI.  It's a big headache!

I have put some links about Parallel/distributed computing on
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Programming - though perhaps it
deserves a wiki page on its own (and it is also a topic I'm not an
expert on). Can I encourage you to summarize the situation on the wiki.

> I think that is a sensible approach; maybe it would be possible to
> support the others in the source package, but not build them by default
> in Debian. I.e. have e.g. -mpich in debian/control, but only build them
> if e.g. DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS contains mpich or something.
>
> Doesn't solve the "how to conflict at package level" problem much,
> though.

Chris