Re: texmaker: Recommends on ghostscript

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Ruben Molina wrote:

$ who-uploads texmaker
Uploads for texmaker:
1.7.1-2.1 to unstable: Jonas Smedegaard <js@debian.org>

Ups, you are right - I was working on a not updated package cache.
Sorry for the confusion.  I will try to revert my changes, inject
the upload in SVN and polish things up.

It was uploaded as an NMU, so I included his changes and add his own
changelog entry...

Sure - I just was somehow confused and sorry for sharing this confusion
with you ...

Well... because sarge does't have texlive, including tetex should be
useful if someone wants to backport texmaker into current oldstable, but
it will be unneded after lenny release..

Well, tha package we upload *now* is for lenny+1 anyway and lintian
claims depending from obsolete packages ...

Following this, we should not drop gs-esp/gs-gpl neither... because
ghostscript isn't on etch, so they will be needed for backporting even
more time... until squeeze release

I just removed these in SVN.  Backporters will have to touch things
anyway and as I said - we are now uploading for lenny+1 anyway.

Anyway I don't know if we need to be backport-friendly with oldstable...
I don't really think so, so I believe we can remove all them after lenny
release...

I do not think so neither (and lintian agrees with us). ;-)

Well, I have no experience at all with group-maintaining... In fact,
yesterday's checkout was the first time I used SVN... So I can offer
little help until I read about it... but if is OK to you, sure I will be
happy to help!

No problem - just ask if something remains unclear.  Please give me
some time to polish SVN regarding the NMU (in worst case it might
happen not before Monday).

Is there any doc relating your usual packaging workflow? I have seen a
lot of them for git, but very few for svn...

Well, the Debian Science policy says "we use git" but we are in some
preliminary state where the git-uneducated people use the existing
SVN as long as policy doc is finished ans contains an easy to follow
step by step description what to do.  I'm currently following the
Debian Med policy [1] until things are settled and hope for a smooth
upgrade path svn to git.

I tried to commit yesterday and it failed (but I don't know if it was
because I was doing it wrong, or because I haven't access), can you
please confirm...

Do you have a login on Alioth? If yes, which user name and if no you
have to ask for a user name first.

Does it really needs to be soon? I think they are all minor changes, so
they can be done after lenny, maybe dropping tetex-* and gs-*...

Well, Lenny is frozen anyway so the package we upload now will not
be propagated to Lenny anyway.  So if the NMU was rectified our changes
are as well.

Kind regards and thanks for your interest in TeXMaker

       Andreas.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html