Re: Package categories

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 11:02 +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
> > And http://www.opennovation.org/ provides a much better categorisation
> > of engineering type packages than I did.
> >
> > Categories there are:
> >
> > Partial Differential Equation (PDE) Solvers
> >         General Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
> >         Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
> >         Electromagnetism and Optics
> >         Software for Phase Field simulations
> >         Boundary Element Method (BEM)
> >
> >         Pre- and post-processing frameworks and tools
> >

> > Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
> >
> > Multi-body dynamics
> >
> > Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME)
> >  (Ab initio and Molecular dynamics codes listed here)
>
> As the owner/maintainer of opennovation.org, I'm struggling with this
> categorization, and welcome input.  For example:
>       * Is libMesh FEA or CFD?  It is a general FEA lib, but its
>         examples and development point toward CFD -- not to mention that
>         its authors are the CFD group at UT Austin.  Saturne is clearly
>         CFD and Aster is clearly mechanics/heat (as are CacluliX and
>         Impact), so why should Aster, CalculiX and Impact be in general
>         FEA?
I've got as far as bending a beam using FEA, so take this with some
pinches of salt.

Would listing all the programs in one PDE solvers in one category, but
having "ticks" for CFD, mechanics, etc solve the problem - these would
correspond naturally to tags.

Eg:

CFD |  Mechancics | Integrated pre/post  |
 x  |      x      |                      |  Prog1
 x  |             |          x           |  Prog 2

>       * Should libraries be treated differently from standalone codes?
>         Or is input file vs. short program which calls the library
>         functions merely a semantics issue?  Aster calls its python
>         scripts "input files" where FiPy calls the exact same thing
>         "programs which call its functions".
>       * How about "standalone" FEA codes like Aster, vs. an integrated
>         pre- post- and solver like OpenFOAM?

If you like the idea above, then have an Integrated pre/post solver
"tick".

You could then have a "separated pre/post processor". Knowing which
pre/post processor works with which codes will also help.

> These are some of the reasons I think keywords or tags are more
> appropriate than "categories".  But keywords/tags don't lend themselves
> to well-organized websites...

If there is an obvious set of tags, can you suggest them here.

Chris