Re: Cronjob for science tasks

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

I'd volunteer for that since I already did some of the work and have
patches ready. I wonder what is the best way to handle it: File bugs or
apply the patches to the VCS? Most of the packages do not have Vcs-*
fields set, so I could fix that while at it. I also prepared watch fiels
for some of the packages that lacked some but did not look into all of
them.

I think a reasonable way to start is to ask the maintainer of the
package whether he is interested in group maintenance or not.  Advise
to use the Debian Science Vcs (in case the package in question is not
just in Vcs) even if group maintenance is not prefered - this keeps
things in our radar.  This contact (accompanied by patches) might
be more friendly and convincing than an anonymous bug report.  If
the mail remains unanswered I would use the BTS and depending from
the general status of the package (I learned that several of these
"candidates" are way outdated and not maintained) just push it to
group maintenance in our BTS.  For instance I did so with texmaker.
I learned that the e-mail address which was stated in the control
file information bounced - so what else than taking over the package
would be reasonable?  I guess we will find more such packages.