Re: Debian Science Policy: First draft online and open for discussion

Am Mittwoch, den 28.05.2008, 23:28 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> I think: Suggesting / recommending tu use CDBS where it makes sense if
> fine - we can't force anybody to use a certain tool anyway.  The "where
> it makes sense" term means that CDBS is fine for simple packages but if it
> comes to tricky things plain debhelper sounds less time consuming.  We
> had good experiences with CDBS in Debian Med - but we will not enforce its
> use.

The current draft reads exactly that: one is free to choose but CDBS
would be nice. I'll add a paragraph about the "where it makes sense"
part to be more explicit.

> It is very reasonable to raise this issue but my experience in practice
> shows that there is practically no missuse.  So mentioning the problem in the
> policy seems to be correct - but I think it has low practical relevance.

I agree with that. I have not heared of any case where that actually was
a problem. So we have to options: 1) leave it out and hope for common
sense or 2) include it and mentioning it to be "best practice". Which
one would be the preffered option?

Best regards
Manuel