Re: Software for poster presentations

Today, "A.E.Lawrence" <A.E.Lawrence@lboro.ac.....> wrote:

> As of today, I can't imagine why anyone would use anything but LaTeX for
> scientific purposes, at least in any quantitative science. The only
> exception might be when accessibility was of overriding importance -
> then something based around MathML and friends might be sensible,
> perhaps also via a suitable LaTex package. GIMP, inkscape and more can
> be used to prepare images that can then be handed to LaTeX.

I agree with your sentiments about latex being quite useful; indeed, it is the
only thing that I currently use for writing up my work.

But I'm talking about a poster here not a paper. A poster is an entirely
visual thing where you do the layout; latex is an entirely text-based thing
where the TeX typesetting engine does the hard work and does the layout for
you. These two things seem to be at the opposite ends of the scale hence my
question about whether latex would be a viable alternative.

Have you ever used latex to produce a poster? Care to share the latex code
(and final product)? Learning by example is always easiest!

> I have heard of conferences which don't know how to accept LaTeX: just
> say no and submit elsewhere :-)

The question of not accepting LaTeX is orthogonal to this discussion; the
presenter of a poster turns up with a printed out posted and sticks it up on
the poster board. The conference organisers never even know what software you
used to prepare the poster.

cheers
Stuart

--