Re: debian-science git repository

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Teemu Ikonen <tpikonen@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
<snip>
Additionally, publishing the repository in alioth (git.debian.org)
requires some steps which are not completely obvious. Here's  a short
guide:

First, in alioth:
# create a bare git repository
cd /git/debian-science/
mkdir project.git ; cd project.git
git --bare init

# activate the default post-update hook to allow http checkouts
chmod a+x hooks/post-update

# The non-obvious part: If your repo does not have a 'master' branch
# (like in the example above), the HEAD ref in the repository needs
# to be set to point to something that exists in the repo you are about
# to push. Otherwise checkouts from the clone of this repo will fail.
# In our case this branch should be 'debian'
echo 'ref: refs/heads/debian' > HEAD

Then locally:
# tell your local git repo about the remote
git remote add alioth ssh://user@git.debian.org/git/debian-science/project.git
# hack away
[...]
# push to alioth, when you want to publish your repository
git push --all alioth
git push --tags alioth

Thank you so much for this guide. I just pushed plotdrop to the Debian Science git repo using your directions. I'm pretty much a git newb but I *think* it worked as expected. I also very much appreciated your repo structure suggestions. I'm amazed at how easy pristine-tar is to use and it's very nice to have everything you need right there in the repo (and under revision control).

-Jordan Mantha