Re: OpenCASCADE copyright/license audit

On Wed, 07 May 2008 12:27:08 -0400, Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've (finally) begun the arduous task of auditing the copyright(s)/
> license(s) in OpenCASCADE.  Based on the number of files and
> directories, this is bound to take a ton of time, so I'd appreciate some
> help!  I've also solicited help on the OpenCASCADE forum, where I've
> been discussing this with the Gentoo packagers.

Hi Adam,

I worked with Aurélien Jarno on an Opencascade Debian package a couple of years ago,
here is the debian/copyright file that I did write after a full license audit of
OpenCascade 6.1, I later checked files newly added to 6.2 and did not find any new
problem.  Hope this helps.

It was downloaded from
  http://files.opencascade.com/OCC_6.2_release/OpenCASCADE_Linux.tgz
installed with the provided installer and then repackaged.
* Following files have been removed for licensing reasons:
   samples/standard/java/java/HeavyToolTipManager.java
   ros/src/OpenGl/OpenGl_triangulate.h
   ros/inc/OpenGl_triangulate.h
   ros/src/Triangle/triangle.c
   ros/src/Triangle/triangle.h
   ros/inc/triangle.h
* 3rdparty/ directory has been dropped because it is useless in Debian.
* Following directories only contain Linux binary stuff and are dropped:
   ros/adm/Linux
   ros/Linux
   ros/lin
   samples/standard/java/adm/Linux
   samples/standard/java/Linux
   samples/standard/qt/Linux
   samples/tutorial/Linux
   tools/ocafbrowser/Linux
   uninstall
   wok/lib/lin

Note about copyright holders: Matra-Datavision bought CISIGRAPH on 1994, and
launched a spin-off named Open CASCADE S.A.S in 2000 to provide services
based on Open CASCADE Technology.

This package contains the following third-party programs:
  * GL2PS, an OpenGL to PostScript Printing Library
    Copyright (C) 1999-2004 Christophe Geuzaine <geuz@geuz.org>
    Released under the GNU Library General Public License, version 2 or later.
    On Debian systems, this license can be found at /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL

  * regex library
    Released under the GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1 or later
    On Debian systems, this license can be found at /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL

  * GNU getopt
    Copyright (C) 1987, 88, 89, 90, 91, 1992 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    Released under the GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1 or later
    On Debian systems, this license can be found at /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL

  * a modified init.tcl script from tcl
    See tcl license below

  * Extended Tcl array procedures.
    Copyright 1992-1996 Karl Lehenbauer and Mark Diekhans.
       Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
       documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided
       that the above copyright notice appear in all copies.  Karl Lehenbauer and
       Mark Diekhans make no representations about the suitability of this
       software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or
       implied warranty.

All other material is licensed by Open CASCADE S.A.S under the license below:
[...full text of Open CASCADE Technology Public License skipped...]
[...full text of tcl license skipped...]

Denis