Re: debian and robotics

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:

The robotics area is very wide. To many kind of packages could go there,

You should probably come up with a list of these many packages to gain the
interest of people here.

so, depends on the people, the interest, etc  the idea could be possible or not.

The idea is always possible. ;-)
The question is rather whether enough people are willing to do the grunt
work.  With the Debian Med project I gained the experience that starting
with real work and presenting something that exists is the best way to
convince people to join the project.  The amount of work I had to do for
this project convinced me, that engaging in one CDD is work enough to
not start another one myself - so I can hopefully be helpful but not
on the top of the activities for some other CDD.  (As a physicist by
profession I would feel competent for a Debian Physics CDD but I stay
away from this job for simple time limitations.)

Also, I don't know how to put this in a debian-scince cdd.

I would strongly advise to start with a tasks file inside debian-science
like you can find in the SVN at

   svn://svn.debian.org/cdd/projects/science/trunk/debian-science/tasks

Just follow the scheme of the other tasks files and add the packages you
consider relevant.  This might be a good test case whether there is really
enough stuff for a separate Debian Robotics.