Re: OpenFoam

On 25/04/2008, Gerber van der Graaf <gerber.vdgraaf@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I am trying to install the CFD package OpenFoam.
[snip]
>  My question is if there is some interest in having this software on
>  Debian

Yes! It looks like some nice software, very stable and mature.
Unfortunately, it's also very old, pre-GNU, so it uses a very
unGNU-like build process and expects a strange working environment
peppered with environment variables. I've previously asked about it in
this mailing list and someone pointed out a webpage in Italian that
had installation instructions that worked for me.

Regardless, the software itself would be a very worthwhile addition to
Debian, but packaging it looks like some major work, due to its size,
and due to its outdated and strange expectations.

I'd volunteer to help package it, and I have done very little
packaging work in the past, but I'm not sure I'd be able to follow up
on any sort of packaging promise.

- Jordi G. H.